Sunday, October 25, 2009

Clothes and Shopping

My wardrobe is shrinking. It took me a few days, but I sorted through everything, trying to get rid of the junk. I had too many t-shirts. The piles weren't as pathetic as I expected. There weren't endless folded-up black tees with cartoons of videogames. Considering this, I believe I've been doing pretty well. Still, a t-shirt with a cartoon isn't a fashion choice, no matter what decade that cartoon came from.

Today, I went shopping at the mall. Two hours and $300 later, I bought several jackets, coats, and trousers. I'm trying to move away from a Tee-a-Day look and more towards shirts and slacks. Gone are my giant carpenter jeans, replaced with grey and black slacks. Adios Konami Code Hoodie (Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A) to be replaced with sports coats and wool jackets. Scarves are accessories, and not a D20 necklace.

How far do I take this? I've begun to sell my games, keeping only a handful. I'm changing my look. Do I throw away all my geeky activities? Get rid of my board games? Hide my PC and consoles? Do I start drinking Natty Ice and watching football and giving high fives to big guys in polo shirts? I want to be myself, but no one gives my self any attention.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you! I'm trying to get away from the t-shirts and jeans look myself. I'm having a hard time parting with my t-shirts though. Are you keeping any for yourself just for lazy/casual days?

    I don't think you should have to give up the geeky side of yourself to try and attract someone. Eventually it'll get really hard to supress and you just won't feel like yourself anymore. The last guy I dated didn't like comics at all and was kind of serious so the sillier, geekier side of me kind of withered inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lindsay. I'm keeping a lot of my Treadless shirts, since I can't stand to part with them all. They're so colorful!

    I don't think I want to change who I am. I just want to learn to step out of my shell and work on my self-esteem. If the person I find is geeky, cool! If not, that's fine too!

    ReplyDelete